It's a Beautiful Day!
Today was the first day I've ran outside since December. It felt awesome! It reminded me that this is why I run. To be outside, to hear the birds, to listen to the music. To feel the warm sun on my skin.
And of course, to get that runners high. Yes! We might have had an Idaho winter, but we are back to a Utah spring, and I am very happy about that. I almost wore shorts today. It felt a little anxious. I'll give it one more day.
I also felt great for another reason. I haven't mentioned this to too many people, but I think it would be unjust to keep the knowledge that I've learned to myself. You see, last September, my friend, Lynette asked me to take a nutrient class with her. To be honest I really didn't want to. I liked my brownies and cookies and I knew that if I took this class they would tell me to cut out the sugar and bread and all the things I liked. I didn't want to make a change. Plus, I was worried about failing. I've never done a "diet". In fact, I am against dieting in most circumstances. But she persisted and I finally gave in.
The class turned out to be amazing and insightful. Our instructor, Nancy, has become like a mother to us. She still stops me in the gym to see how I am doing, and to let me know how good I look. Why don't we live the way we were all taught growing up? Lots of vegetables, a little meat, a little starch. Protein and fruit for snacks and lots and lots of water. It's all about keeping your metabolism cranked. That's it. Well, not quite it, but that's the basics. Portion sizes and the types of food you eat are equally important.
For the first two months I cut out almost all my sugar and found substitutes like agave and Stevia so I could still have a cookie once in a while. I cut out butter and mayo and ranch dressing. I found good substitutes like Coconut oil for butter and yummy vinaigrettes with half the calories for my salads and even for my sandwiches. I made sure I was getting enough protein, especially after working out, and started making "The green drink" which is one of my favorite drinks now, though if you are going to make it be sure to add something sweet like pineapple!!! And the most difficult change; I drank lots of water. When I lost the first pound I thought it was just water weight. Then the next pound, I thought was just chance. It wasn't until I lost 5 pounds that I began to think this thing actually worked. I hadn't even set a goal. I just hoped to learn to eat better. It worked! To date I've lost 14 pounds. I don't know if I'll lose anymore, but I thought that at ten pounds so who knows.
I used to joke that skinny doesn't feel better than chocolate tastes. But I've changed my mind. I do love dark chocolate. Especially the dark chocolate covered almonds at Costco. Yum! But it actually does feel better to know that you are doing all you can to live the most ideal life possible. Things will still happen, but I am going to enjoy it more now that I feel better.
So that's it. But there is one snag. This has to be a life change. I've never seen anyone keep the weight off by going off a diet. There was a reason they were on that diet. Yes, it's hard to keep up when you're with family or on vacation. It's easy to slide back into bad habits. I know that the only way to keep it off is to make healthy eating a habit. It's the 80/20 rule. If you will eat like I mentioned above 80 percent of the time, then your body will take care of the other 20 percent. So you can still have the things you love...once in a while. And not too many. :) I had to remind myself of that when the girl scout cookies arrived the other day. Much harder than I had hoped.
Anyway, that's it. I feel good. I had a great run today, and now I think I'll go have a handful of chocolate covered almonds for my mid day snack. Have a great day!