Thursday, November 17, 2011

Happy Breaking Dawn day!!!



It's The opening night of Breaking Dawn, everybody! How many of you are going tonight? Believe it or not, I am not. I didn't mean for this to happen. I am not trying to hold out or anything, but it just sort of worked out that way. To be understood, I am no less a fan of the book series. And in reverence of this day I should like to expound upon my gratitude for book four of the Twilight series. See, it was while I was highly anticipating Breaking Dawn that I decided to pick up a pen and write a story that popped into my head one sunny afternoon.

I have always enjoyed writing, but I was never any good at it. Not saying I am great now, but by not being good I mean, I sucked at it. When I was young I'd write stories that went in circles, and I was darn proud of them. I recently read two journal entries where I talked about becoming a writer when I grew up. (They were fifth grade, and seventh grade, respectfully) I used them as fodder for my kids by saying, "See, it was in me long before any of you came around."

But when I picked up a pen nothing came of it.

I'd watch Oprah's book club and get excited about non-writers instantaneously becoming published successful writers. I'd try to copy the way they wrote, trying to conjure up images of people without hope, living in the depths of poverty, their beaten and abused bodies cold from the incessant winds, yada, yada, yada. Problem was, I never got further than a page or two before giving up out of boredom or shear "I have no idea where this is supposed to go next-ness". I know now it's because I was trying to write something that wasn't me. And what I've learned is you've got to write from the heart, but smart. (Thanks, Micheal Neff)

Then, while waiting for Breaking Dawn to come out I got an idea for a story that three months later became my first finished novel titled Strange Tree. And three years later I still love that story and would love to see it published, but I don't know if it cuts the mustard. Anyway, I know this is a tired story, but here it is: I was inspired by the mom from Twilight (Thanks, Jack Black) but it's true. And I have discovered I have a passion for writing, telling stories that make you feel happy, sad, mad, frustrated, and just take you on a great journey.

Twilight took me on a great journey. Very few books have equaled it. I appreciated the ride, and wish dear Stephenie joy in her own journey. And I wish each of you headed to the wedding tonight an amazing time. I will be there in spirit!

No comments:

Post a Comment