Friday, October 2, 2009

In the beginning...

When I was in grade school I wrote silly little stories that never went anywhere, but my parents listened patiently to every one of them, commenting on what an interesting idea it had been, or what a good job I had done with my character development. Parents are that way, they can see the potential their children have long before even their children can. That's what is so great about the set up of families. When I doubted myself it was my parents who encouraged me to continue trying. And it's not just my parents who prodded me on, but teachers, my friends parents and my neighbors.

Julieanne Hill was one of those people. In eighth grade I tried out for cheerleader and didn't make it. It was a heartbreaker. But there was my best friends mom, the first one out of the gates giving me a big hug and warm words of encouragement. She believed in me and reminded me that there was always next year and I would make it because I really was good enough. Of course I cried. Having someone who believed so much in me really touched me. Twenty-five years later I've still not forgotten it. And it is because of people like this that I am writing this blog. Telling stories and trying to get them "out there"

This is my journey. Let's hope it's a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment